What's up Windy City!
Now is the time…the time to double-down on making all the changes you vowed you were going to make heading into January. It’s not too late…and you’re never too old! So let’s do this. Onward to February… and we’ve got a great month coming up! Of course, another awesome AOM profile that we’re excited to feature. As well, something different for Valentine’s day; a 28 Day Corporate Challenge; a rock climbing outing; and, some more Sunday yoga. All that and more below. Check it out!
Keep livin' BIG!
- My Sweaty Valentine — February 14th @ 6:30pm
Love and sweat is in the air! So ditch the dinner and movie and come get sweaty with your beloved…with drinks and an epic hang to follow. No beloved? No problem! Either bring a friend, or just show up…and we’ll make a match from there. $10 entry gets you a fun partner workout, food, drinks, and entry for a grand prize raffle…sponsored by Kitchfix and Reebok. Share the LOVE and do something different this year!
– February 14th. Check-in begins at 6pm; workout starts at 6:30pm (and will replace the normal 6:30pm class)
– All proceeds to benefit Lakou -- using construction training to inspire development in Haiti.
- 28 Day Windy City Corporate Challenge
“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.”
We’re looking for 5 teams of 5 (from each company / organization). Got some people within your company that have been interested in Windy City, but not quite ready? Here’s the perfect opportunity to get involved. Each participant will receive individualized meal plans, workouts and support from Windy City coaches. Entry fee is $99 for non WCSC members…free for current members. Get your company involved…and earn the bragging rights...and cash prize! Side betting between companies is encouraged. For more info, reach out to email@example.com
- Save the Date! Windy City Rock Climbing outing at First Ascent
February 29th. More details to come.
- Save the Date! Windy City In-House Oly Meet
March 28th. More details to come.
- We're collecting kicks!
We’ve partnered with Sneakers4funds and we're looking for gently used and new sneakers to be donated for a good cause. 2 donation boxes are located at the front and the back of the gym. Help us make an impact in our community and abroad!
- January Challenge Winners:
Female Winner: IRMA - 16 burpees box jump overs in 60s!
Male Winner: DYLAN - 19 burpees box jump overs in 60s!
Congrats to everyone who participated!
- February Challenge: Most Checkins
How many checkins can you commit to? Keep an eye open for a calendar near the board so we can see your goals for February. Good luck!
- Reserve your spot in class
We encourage everyone to sign up for your classes through the ZenPlanner app or website. This helps us keep track of capacity in classes so we can make sure there are enough coaches per class. Thanks for your cooperation!
- Yoga is back!
Join us for a free class. Non-members welcome.
Feb. 2nd - 12:30pm
Feb. 9th - 12:30pm
One of our core beliefs at Windy City is to take small steps, celebrate each little victory and enjoy the process. In an effort to do just that, we would like to start celebrating member wins. If you have one, and you’d like to share, please email Steph.
In addition to these awesome PRs, we also had the following WINS last month:
• Mel won the Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25K — WIN!
• Karla Flannery is officially a licensed real estate agent! She had been studying for her test and Jim had been helping her in the process — WIN!
• Allison Brignon PR’d both snatch and CJ — WIN!
• Lori Eich PR'd her benchpress, plus every workout she does — WIN!
• Sahar is back in classes after surgery — WIN!
• Danny Hernandez just graduated with his masters in structural engineering — WIN!
• Ryann and Ali just closed on their new house — WIN!
• Doug Herman did his first legless rope climb — WIN!
• Liz Cole hit 100 lbs on bench press for a 1 rep PR — WIN!
• Hugo just became a grandfather — WIN!
• Katie Grandi got her first kipping toes to bar this morning, and her first HSPU — WIN!
Great job everyon—KEEP IT UP!!
ATHLETE OF THE MONTH
George's story is such an inspiration and proves that it's not what happens to you, but how you react that matters. After inheriting a terrible disease, George found his way out of depression through exercise and nutrition. On top of that, he's just a great person to be around. Congrats, George—February is yours!
STAFF FAVE FOUR
Here's a list of what we're loving and learning this month:
- Stephanie: Book I'm reading
"Social Animal" by David Brooks and "Mary Queen of Scotts and the Isles" by Margaret George—I love learning about why we are the way we are. We a inhertly social animals, but why? And I'm a sucker for anything historical from the Tudor Era.
- Kelly: Thing I'm loving
Air Fryer—I'm not great at meal prepping for myself and this air fryer makes everything taste better in a shorter amount of time! Currently loving chicken thighs- crispy on the outside and still juicy on the inside.
- Esther: Shoes I'm wearing
Reebok Nano 9’s—They’ve got a little bit more support through the arch of the foot and a wider toe box than what I typically wear for WODs and it’s much more comfortable even just standing in to coach.
- Taylor: Show I'm watching
Stranger Things 3—Great music, great acting, great story line, and great vintage cars! Whats not to love.
ARTICLE OF THE MONTH
Five Surprising Ways Exercise Changes Your Brain
Moving your body is one of the most beneficial things you can do for your mind. We’ve all heard that exercise is good for us—how it strengthens our hearts and lungs, and helps us prevent diseases like diabetes. That’s why so many of us like to make New Year’s resolutions to move more, knowing it will make us healthier and live longer.
GET IN GEAR
$20 Windy City Tees
For the month of February, get one of these classic tees for only $20 (normally $26) while supplies last.